I love casseroles. There is nothing better than throwing everything together in one pan and walking away for an hour. It was a cold winters day here today and I was craving some comfort food.
I have seen recipes for Hamburger potato casserole and thought I would try it. I read through 3 or 4 and came up with my own based on what I had on hand. I got a bag of potatoes for $1 at Walmart the other day, so I thought it was time to use them. I love vegetables so I added some carrots for more color and more flavor.
For the sauce I used half a can of Mushroom and Garlic soup, milk and sour cream. I mixed these together. I didn’t bother to grease the pan either. I started with a layer of potatoes and carrots. Next, i added a layer of the mushroom soup mixture followed by a layer of hamburger.
I didn’t make the layers to thick. I wanted to make sure there was even distribution throughout the casserole. It made 3 levels in total.
To top things off i added some cheese. Baked covered for 75 minutes at 400 degrees.
The result was heavenly.
- 1 pound lean ground beef, cooked and drained to taste
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced.
- 2 large carrots
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 can mushroom soup
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk.
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine potatoes, carrots and Italian seasoning. Set aside
- Mix together soup, sour cream and milk. Set aside.
- Layer potatoes and carrots in the bottom of a 7×11 pan.
- Add a layer of soup mixture on top.
- Top with hamburger.
- Repeat and make 2 more layers.
- Top with cheddar cheese.
- Cook uncovered for 75 minutes.